In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, all ACE Academies have been canceled for the 2020 season. We look forward to serving you and your student in 2021.
Sign up to be alerted when 2021 ACE Academy Registration opens.
OBAP ACE Academy
City: Richmond, Virginia
Date: June 29 - July 4, 2021
Registration Ends: June 12, 2021
The Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals Summer ACE Academy is a nationally recognized program co-sponsored by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the National Black Coalition of Federal Aviation Employees (NBCFAE).
The purpose of Aerospace Career Education (ACE) is to offer first-level exposure to the aviation industry by providing aviation career exploration for middle and high school students. Academy participants learn about aviation history, the theory of flight, and other aerospace-related subjects. Students will have the opportunity to go on field trips to Air Traffic Control facilities, aerospace-themed museums, military base tours where applicable, and participate in other hands-on activities designed to give students a total aviation experience. Students will also have the opportunity to take flight on a discovery flight.
By participating in our ACE Academy, students will also see the practical application of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) subjects and how they are applied in the worlds of aviation and aerospace. By the end of the program, our ACE students will have a much broader view of the many aerospace career opportunities available to them. We challenge our students to strive for excellence.
Meet the Team
Nin Aseeya Ra-El
Our ACE Academy is designed to expose youths to the wide variety of career opportunities in aviation and aerospace. Our program offers students a hands-on experience of learning the aviation history, fundamentals of aerodynamics, the role of government in aviation and the many careers available in the aerospace field.
The ACE Academy is a multi-day event for middle and high school students that have a general interest in learning about aviation. The goal of ACE Academy is to expose students to the many different careers in aviation. We also aim to show them the practical application of the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) subjects. By the end of the program, we hope that the participants will have a wider horizon of the many career opportunities available to them. We challenge our students to strive for excellence.
Admission is offered to boys and girls from 14 to 18 years old who have an interest in learning about aviation. Applicants are competitively-ranked based on age, cumulative GPA, and essay.
Students must be physically capable of participating in all activities. High standards of behavior and self-discipline are expected and students must abide by all academy regulations. If you have any questions, please contact your ACE Academy Director.
There is an application deadline noted on the webpage
The requirements are:
- Submit a completed online ACE Academy application.
- Complete the online essay.
- Write and submit a one-page essay expressing your interest in aviation. You may include your hobbies, civic involvement, and extracurricular activities.
- You may also consider typing it in MS Word or another text editor and copy and paste the content into the essay text block. The submitted essay is not to exceed 400 words.
- During registration, you will be asked to submit a copy of your most recent official school transcript or report card indicating your cumulative GPA.
- Incomplete registrations will not be considered for admission and all documents will be discarded.
Students will experience various aspects of aviation through classroom instruction, experiments, and field trips. The highlight of the week is the small aircraft flight. Below is our current schedule for 2020. (subject to minor changes)
June 29 - July 4, 2021
ACE Academy Locations Map
View all Ace Academies
- Project Aerospace
- Aerospace Professionals in School (APIS)
- Aerospace Career Education (ACE) Academy
- Solo Flight Academy (SFA)
- Luke Weathers Flight Academy (LWFA)
- Aerospace Professional Development Program (APDP)
- View All Programs
- Program Regions