PIONEERS IN AEROSPACE:
OBAP HALL OF FAME
Each year, at the OBAP Annual Conference, we induct honorable aerospace professionals into the OBAP Hall of Fame. Established in 2008, the traveling exhibition serves as a testament to the impact these individuals continue to have on the aerospace industry, the African American community, and our entire country.
These notable individuals are honored for their unwavering commitment to their careers, and contribution to the industry at-large.
To nominate an accomplished pioneer in aerospace for the 2020 OBAP Hall of Fame, review the guidelines and complete the nomination form.
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2019 Inductees
John and Martha King
General John Bailey
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2018 Inductees
Guion Stewart Bluford Jr., Ph.D.
Dr. Christine Mann Darden
Captain Albert T. Glenn
Mary W. Jackson
Katherine Goble Johnson
Brigadier General Ernest G. Talbert
Dorothy J. Vaughan
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2017 Inductees
Captain Robert Brown
Captain Theresa M. Claiborne
Edward Joseph Dwight
Dr. Aprille Joy Ericsson
Captain Aaron J. Gould
Lieutenant Colonel Edgar V. Lewis
Captain Lawrence Anthony Parker, Jr.
Lieutenant Colonel Luke J. Weathers, Jr.
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2016 Inductees
Captain Raymond Dothard
Captain Simon Patrick Gaskill
Captain Oscar Perry
Captain William C. Rand
Captain J. Georges Sulmers
Benjamin Franklin Thomas
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2015 Inductees
Sheila L. Chamberlain
Lieutenant General Russell “Russ” Davis, (ret.)
Major General Stayce Harris
Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Jefferson, (ret.)
Lieutenant Colonel Tony Marshall, (ret.)
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2014 Inductees
Captain Clovis Jones
Captain Roscoe Edwards
Captain Anthony Copeland-Parker
Brigadier General Leon Johnson
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2013 Inductees
Captain Calvin Janes (ret.)
Captain Donnie Cochran (ret.)
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2012 Inductees
Captain Edward Horne
Captain Leslie Morris (ret.)
Captain/DOTA Robert Ashby (ret.)
Captain Cecil Ewell (ret.)
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2011 Inductees
Lieutenant Colonel Edgar V. Lewis (ret.)
Captain Robert Brown (ret.)
Captain Aaron J. Gould (ret.)
Captain Larry Parker
Dr. Daniel E. Coons Ph.D.
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2010 Inductees
Captain Carroll Waters
Captain Chuck Rich
Captain Lou Freeman
Captain Mike Swanigan
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2009 Inductees
Louise Greenwood Phipps
Pat Edmidston Banks
OBAP Founders and Pioneers Hall of Fame 2008 Inductees
Benjamin F. Thomas
Charles E. Black
Charles A. Davis
Charles S. Mack
David E. Harris
Don E. Barton
Frank B. Jones
Frederick O. Boone
George W. Nixon
Harold C. Heard Jr.
Herman O. Samuels
Howard L. Baugh
James A. Brannen
James L. Davis Sr.
James H. Green
James E. Lee III
Jim E. Betts
Joseph B. Moore
Patricia Edmiston Banks
Pickney Mosely Jr.
Ray and Patrice Washington
R. Ricardo Youngblood
Richard E. Roundtree
Robert E. Smith
Ruth Carol Taylor
Sidney L. Clark Jr.
Simon P. Gaskill
Stanley M. Brown
The Tuskegee Airmen
William R. Norwood
William C. Rand
Willis N. Brown Jr.
In 2008 the Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals (OBAP) established a signature event that would be held during the annual convention to honor and recognize professionals that have made significant sacrifices and contributions to the industry as leaders or pioneers. The inaugural event, held in Miami, Florida, included recognition of the original founders of OBAP.
This year we will recognize the tenth class of honorees, individuals who represent various disciplines within the aerospace industry, during the OBAP Founders and Pioneers Breakfast on Thursday, August 13, 2020, at the 44th Annual Convention and Career Exposition in Phoenix, AZ. We enlist your support in identifying and nominating our 2020 honorees based on the following criteria:
The nominator individual should/will be:
A member of OBAP.
The nominated individual should/will be:
An individual that has made a significant contribution(s) to or in aerospace and/or to OBAP in the following areas for more than five years and has had an impact on:
- Aviation/aerospace innovation, invention, education, research and development, operations, safety, and training. This includes aerospace engineers, air traffic controllers, flight crews, pilots, maintenance professionals, and other industry professionals.
- An individual that has been recognized for, or is recognized for, setting high standards of conduct, character, and courage.
- A pioneer in his/her field evident by the official roles and responsibilities nominated by an active OBAP member.
Who is a Pioneer? Here are some examples are taken from the, "Seven Key Attributes of a Pioneer." (source WAI) (Please use the examples as a guide only, with the understanding that it may not fully define all Pioneers.
- Pioneers have faced difficult circumstances with great determination and courage. Despite the odds, they have triumphed and made lasting contributions.
- Pioneers always press forward into tomorrow - into the unknown. And they do it with style and class and uncommon grace.
- Pioneers definitely proceed with NO fear, or at least it is so well hidden that no one else ever sees it.
- Pioneers seize the opportunity and make the most of it as it is presented, and in some cases, if necessary, they make your own opportunity.
- Pioneers are bold risk takers with great vision.
- Pioneers never, ever take NO for an answer, nor do they let someone get away with that age-old excuse "because we have always done it this way."
- Finally, Pioneers have always been willing to help others to get to the same point and to make the road easier for the next group coming after them. They are mentors and encourages. They give back and pay forward. They are indeed the heroes we should treasure and emulate.
Know individuals who meet the above criteria and are deserving of this distinguished recognition? We invite you to nominate them now. The deadline to receive all nominations is March 31, 2020, so don't delay, nominate today! Click here to complete a nomination form. You must be an OBAP member to nominate.
Thank you for your support and if you have any questions please contact us at: email@example.com.
- Project Aerospace
- Aerospace Professionals in School (APIS)
- Aerospace Career Education (ACE) Academy
- Solo Flight Academy (SFA)
- Luke Weathers Flight Academy (LWFA)
- Aerospace Professional Development Program (APDP)
- View All Programs
- Program Regions