OBAP Lt Col Luke Weathers Solo Flight Academy
July 9 - 23, 2022 | Olive Branch, MS
The OBAP Lt Col Luke Weathers Solo Flight Academy (SFA) is a two-week submersion in aviation training designed to excite and deepen exposure to opportunities in aviation, culminating in an unforgettable solo flight experience.
Tailored and restricted to young adults ages 16 – 19, the academic curriculum establishes the foundation of a productive and successful career in aviation-related professions. While enrolled in the academy, students will receive approximately 40 hours of cursory and condensed ground school detailing federal air regulations, basic meteorology, navigation, basic engine theory, aircraft performance, basic maneuvers, STEM core principles, and the Airman’s Information Manual.
Upon successful completion of the ground school, students will receive at least 10 hours of flight time. Basic flight instructions given by FAA certified instructors will consist of aircraft familiarization, preflight procedures, taxiing, and parking, straight and level flight, climbs, glides, stalls, slow flight, takeoff and landings, and emergency procedures. Once Federal Aviation requirements are met, the student will be cleared to serve as a “sole manipulator” for their very first time.
The academy is limited to 24 students annually. To participate, students must also obtain a FAA 3rd Class Medical/Student Pilot Certificate from a FAA Medical Examiner and provide proof of U.S. citizenship as required by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
In partnership with the Lt Col Luke Weathers, Jr. Flight Academy, the annual OBAP Solo Flight academies, serves as an invaluable opportunity for aspiring aviation professionals to advance training. Upon completion of the academy, participants receive a certificate and are provided with the opportunity to attend the OBAP's Lt Col Luke Weathers, Jr. Flight Academy or apply newly acquired skills to pursue scholarships available through OBAP to further education and training.
There will be no OBAP Solo Flight Academy in Seattle.
OBAP Solo Flight Academy Location:
Luke Weathers Flight Academy
11299 Airport Rd, Olive Branch, MS 38654
Solo Flight Academy Director
Please review this important information before you apply. Have questions? Contact the Solo Flight Academy director at SFA@OBAP.org.
- Select the Memphis Solo Flight Academy in the registration list.
- Complete the application and upload all required documentation by June 6 at Midnight CT including:
- COVID-19 vaccination card
- Recent school transcript
- Essay (Briefly describe why you would like to attend our Solo Flight Academy)
- Letter of recommendation from an OBAP member
- Applications will be reviewed by the Solo Flight Academy director and admissions decisions provided by June 8, 2022.
Each accepted applicant will be required to complete the following prior to arrival:
- Complete the ground school curriculum (will be provided to accepted students) by June 25.
- Provide student medical certificates (AME Class III or higher physical) by July 1
- Review IACRA, TSA Endorsement, Pilot Bill of Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (conducted with a Luke Weathers Flight Academy CFI)
- Pay the full $3500 participation fee no later than July 1, 2022. The participation fee is non-refundable.
- Project Aerospace
- Aerospace Professionals in School (APIS)
- Aerospace Career Education (ACE) Academy
- Solo Flight Academy (SFA)
- Luke Weathers Flight Academy (LWFA)
- Aerospace Professional Development Program (APDP)
- View All Programs
- Program Regions